One of the rooms I love most in my house is my office. I know it seems like this is the room most likely to stress me out, but is actually where I feel the most calm. Even when work is piling up, deadlines are nearing, and clients are throwing new projects at me faster than I can catch them, this is the room that ultimately gives me a great sense of peace.
I think it is the way I have it set up. I’ve managed to create this stress-free space that just envelopes me and let’s me know that everything will be okay. Here are a few things that have helped me create this feeling of calm, in case you want to try them out too.
- Keep it organized. The more items I have lying around my desk or on the office floor, the worse I feel. It’s like each item that is out of place is on my back, getting heavier and heavier as the day goes on. Take time regularly to organize your space and put things away. You’ll feel much better when you do.
- Include items that make you smile. On my bookshelf, I have pictures of some of my absolute favorite people in the world: my husband, his (our) daughter, my sister, and my nieces. Every time I look at these photos, I can’t help but smile. On my desk, I also have a miniature cruise ship. This brings back memories of sitting on the balcony each morning, watching the water go by as the sun comes up, a nice hot coffee in my hands. Ahhhh…. Think about what makes you smile and include these types of things in your stress-free space. It’s a great way to lift your soul.
- Have a comfortable space to relax. Fortunately, my office has enough room for a reclining chair. I’ve found that this is a great spot to sit and read when I’m not busy writing. It’s also a good place to go when I need a little break from work, but don’t want to get too far away. If you don’t have a lot of space, even a spot where you can put a thick pillow on the floor will do the trick.
- Have a spot to re-energize. Speaking of the floor, I left the very middle of my office floor open so I have enough space to lie down and stretch or meditate throughout the day. These two activities help center and re-energize me. The fact that they are right next to my office chair is a bonus because it means that they are always available.
- Make it all about YOU. Your stress-free space should be all about you. When you look at it, your first thought should be, “Yeeessss! I am finally home…” It may take some tweaking to get there, especially because what brings us comfort tends to change over time, but keep working at it and eventually you will have created a space that reminds you that, not matter what you’re going through, it will be okay.