Ever blare your music so loud your ears physically hurt afterward? That was me on my walk today.
After spending nine hours editing blogs and articles for my clients, my brain needed break. The only problem is, as a writer, it constantly wants to think about words, sentences, and paragraphs. It loves to keep going over the content I’ve been working on even after I’ve turned off my computer for the day, trying to come up with a new, catchy way to phrase thoughts and ideas so they are more interesting to read or make more sense.
On days like this, the only way I can shut my mind off is to turn my music up to the point where I can’t think of anything other than the song that is piercing my eardrums.
I have a variety of songs on my playlist that not only help me forget about my day, but also remind me to continue to build my grit, to keep moving forward, and to keep pressing on. Which ones provide this kind of inspiration to me that you may want to add to your playlist too? (I’ve added links to their official videos so you can easily check any of them out if you’d like.)
- Fight Song by Rachel Platten. This song actually helped me through the kidney donation process by reminding that, though I was scared as hell to be a living organ donor, my decision could really change someone else’s life for the better.
- Not Afraid by Eminem. First off, please note that this song does have explicit lyrics if you’re turned off by this sort of thing. When I’m feeling stressed, I like to curse like a sailor, so this one actually calms me while also reminding me that I have the ability to help others in similar situations.
- Rise Up by Andra Day. We all go through times when we don’t feel like we can go on. I’d like to think that I’m a person that others can turn to when they are experiencing this feeling. It encourages me to keep walking forward so I can help others live better lives along the way.
- Warrior by Demi Lovato. I think my favorite part in this song is “I’ve got scars that I will never show. I’m a survivor in more ways than you know…’cause all the pain and the truth I wear like a battle wound.” If that isn’t having grit, I don’t know what is.
- Man in the Mirror by Michael Jackson. This is an oldie, but it always reminds me that the only person I can control is myself. So, when it feels like the world is crumbling around me, it’s time to look in the mirror and figure out what I can do to respond in a way that makes things better instead of worse.
What about you? What music helps you move forward when all you really want to do is sit down, cross your legs, cross your arms, and say you’re never going to get back up? I’d love to know, so feel free to comment below!
(Don’t forget to subscribe to the Building Your Grit blog before you go!)